skip to Main Content

Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is a key duty on local authorities. Children running away and going missing from home, care or view is a safeguarding issue. The DfE published new statutory guidance in January 2014 which primarily addressed the responsibilities on Local Authorities to children who run away or go missing from home care or view.

Statutory guidance on children who run away or go missing from home or care


Definitions of missing

Missing Person – (Association of Chief Police Officers’ Definition): “a missing person is anyone whose whereabouts are unknown, whatever the circumstances of disappearance. He or she will be considered missing until located and his or her wellbeing, or otherwise, established.”

Young runaway and missing – children/young people up to the age of 18 who have run away from their home or care placement, have been forced to leave, or whose whereabouts is unknown;

Abscond –  a child/young person who is absent from their placement without permission and who is subject to an order or requirement resulting from the criminal justice process such as curfews, tagging etc or a secure order made in either civil or criminal proceedings. In these cases the location of the child must be known otherwise they are deemed missing.

Child Abduction – where a child/young person has been abducted or forcibly removed from their place of residence a
report should be made immediately to the police.

Cambridgeshire Police no longer use the category of unauthorised absence for children under 18

You do not need to wait 24 hours report your child as missing immediately

Call the police on 101 or call 999 if you think someone is in immediate danger. Tell them you are reporting your child as missing and give any information you have about any recent concerns.

Check your house, garage and any outdoor space. Ask friends or family if anyone knows where they are.

Call text and message your child via mobile, social media or apps. Stay calm, show them you’re concerned and just want them home safe.

Further information and what to do when your child returns can be found in “What to do if your child goes missing” Advice for Parents and Carers

Additional Resources
Translate »
Back To Top
×Close search